The San Diego Regional Water/Wastewater Internship Program is a partnership with local water and wastewater agencies and community colleges, and we couldn't be successful without these strategic partnerships. Without our participating agencies, the program could not provide the education and on-the-job experience that equips interns for career opportunities in water and wastewater technology. Each year, regional water and wastewater agencies volunteer to participate in the water and wastewater internship program. Agencies appoint a mentor to work with the interns and evaluate them at the end of each eight-week session.
Interested in Joining the Program?
Agencies interested in hosting one or more interns must complete an agency agreement and submit it to the San Diego County Water Authority for consideration. Participating agencies are responsible for:
- Providing workers' compensation insurance for interns if paying the interns directly
- Serving as members of the Intern Selection Committee or Interview Panel
- Providing qualified mentors for interns over the eight week rotations
- Providing site-specific safety training and orientation
- Providing training and experience in accordance with the internship career module objectives
- Paying student interns at the agreed upon rate or contracting with a temporary agency
- Evaluating interns as needed